5 Energy Saving Tips to Survive the Winter
It’s cold and rainy here in Morgantown, West Virginia and we are heading into the Holiday Season! Our goal this month, is to help you make the season as carefree as possible! As winter is approaching, here are a few tips on how to save energy and money during the coldest months of the year!
1. Switch your ceiling fan’s blade rotation. The blades rotation can actually help you save on your winter heating bill! Hot air rises so reversing your fan’s blade to a clockwise rotation will push the warm air back to you.
2. Invest in a smart thermostat. An easy home upgrade can save you up to 12% on your heating bill!
3. Make sure to check your home for drafts. The cold winter chills can seep in under doors, around windows and even through electrical outlets. Drafts will make it more difficult to warm up your home and will eat away at your heating budget. Install weather stripping and proper installation will save you money!
4. Use LED string lights when decorating for the holidays. LED lights are much more energy efficient than regular string lights with incandescent bulbs. By using LED lights, you will be cutting down your electric bill! LED lights will cost $0.41 to run during the holiday season while incandescent bulbs will cost $3.53 to run during the holiday season.
5. Turn down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting of 120 degrees. It will save energy and help you avoid scalding your hands.