Hawthorne Village is a quaint neighborhood developed with the natural environment and minimal impact in mind. It is West Virginia's first GREEN subdivision certified by the Home Innovation Research Labs (formerly the National Association of Home Builders, NAHB,) earning an environmentally friendly rating of three out of four stars. This neighborhood offers 26 total home sites, a walking trail, and community garden area.
Directions: Rte 119 South, Grafton Road, Rt towards Walmart, stay on road til Y in road, bear right, Hawthorne Village on your right.
The development's Natural Resource Plan includes:
- a natural stream that runs through the neighborhood - The stream and its banks will be left untouched.
- abundance of trees - Very few trees will be removed during construction of the infrastructures. In addition, the landscape plan includes planting over 50 deciduous shade trees on the property.
- surface water - Careful planning has gone into the preservation of natural contours and water paths. In addition, a natural ravine that exists on the property will be preserved.
- landscape plan - Over 50 deciduous shade trees will be planted along the street. This will create a beautiful visual drive as well as provide shade to the pavement. Vegetative wind breaks will be used around the common area.
- community garden - The common area will have raised bed gardens that will serve the community. It will also have compost areas that can be used by residents for yard waste.